Re: Gantry Group Help Authoring Survey

Subject: Re: Gantry Group Help Authoring Survey
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:00:42 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>

> And it seemed to me to be more of an advertisement than a survey...A
survey
> wouldn't have cared if I was employed or not; this survey definitely
seemed
> to want to know what my COMPANY wanted, not just what I would like to see
in
> help-authoring software.
>
> Diane Evans
> Technical Writer

Is this "bait-and-switch" or just sloppiness, I wonder? I decided to see
it through to the end, where I was met with the following:

<begin quote>

"1. Buy a book or CD on us!

If you are among the first 30 survey respondents to qualify and complete
this survey, you will receive an Amazon.com Gift Certificate for $25 to
spend at your discretion."

2. Drawing for $250.

At the conclusion of the survey, a drawing for a $250 gift certificate will
be held for all survey respondents who qualified and completed the survey.
The winner will be given the option to receive either an Amex Gift Cheque or
an Amazon.com Gift Certificate."

<end quote>

--------

The advertisement in the Techwr-l e-mail, however, said the following:

<begin quote>

"If you qualify and finish the study, you'll be entered
into two drawings: 1) One out of every five participants
will win a $25 Amazon.com Gift Certificate; 2) At the
conclusion of the survey, a drawing for a $250 gift
certificate will be optionally awarded as an Amex Gift
Cheque or an Amazon.com Gift Certificate. Add to your
library or keep the cash!"

<end quote>

One out of every five participants is not the same as "the first 30 survey
respondents".

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info