Re: Average hours worked

Subject: Re: Average hours worked
From: gururaj bs <gururaj_bs -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:12:38 +0100 (BST)

Hmm.. Productivity is something really sensible to
talk about. I think working hours in case of a
technical communicator depends mainly on the employer.
If the organization that you work for, is a big
organization that follows meticulous processes to
align with the quality goals of the organization,
productivity as an initiative is given utmost
importance.

Especially during quality audits and other process
reviews, even our productivity is analyzed by the
senior management and suitable measures need to be
taken towards the betterment of the same. There is
something called as "Schedule and Effort variance" and
this data is calculated based on the company base
lines to be in conformance with the organization's
productivity goals.

Regardless of the processes followed to capture this
data, I should say "40 hours" is the minimum time that
a tech writer should devote for all documentation
tasks. This excludes lunch, coffee, and other
activities. I personally do not recommend anyone
working long hours if there's no necessity.

At the end of the day, one will not benefit from
portraying himself as a workaholic:)- probably, there
are better things to do in life.

Cheers,
Gururaj

Want to sell your car? advertise on Yahoo Autos Classifieds. It's Free!!
visit http://in.autos.yahoo.com