RE: Fw: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?

Subject: RE: Fw: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?
From: "LeVie, Donald S" <donald -dot- s -dot- levie -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:44:59 -0700

Hi Bob:

I understand your argument, but at some point the juries have to take
responsibility for the consequences of their judgments. They have to be
accountable in some way. Outrageous awards are often thrown out by the
presiding judge or the appeals courts. Juries have to balance the other side
of the scale when doling out damages, and when they run through all people
who materially contributed to the accident, that should be the end of it.
Suing people and organizations who are only peripherally and immaterially
involved should be curbed.

If you're in a car accident (even if it's your fault) that causes $5 million
in damages, the auto mfg could be named a plaintiff in the case...but naming
the paving company who resurfaced the road 3 years prior, or even the
weatherman because it rained that day and made the roads slick is an absurd
proposition that's lost in some of these juries.

Donn Le Vie, Jr.
Technical Publications Project Manager
Technical Communications Council Manager
Personal Client Architecture Components Group
Intel Corporation