RE: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?

Subject: RE: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?
From: "Suzanne Townsend" <suzyt -at- hfx -dot- eastlink -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:03:34 -0300

> Question for telecommuters, particularly contractors who visit customer
sites on occasion---do you use/prefer a desktop machine or a laptop with
docking station?

Laptop most definitely. No docking station needed unless you leave home
weekly or more (my opinion).

I can't stand those old klunker desktop units anymore. Very intrusive
visually (my opinion).

> go out and spend for a pre-built?

Yes, bask in security as much as possible (unless your writing job requires
knowledge of your system's guts). Get one with a 3-year warranty.

I am now saving for a second one that is exactly the same so that I can have
a complete clone, not just backed-up data. Like Doctor Dave, "some of [my]
stuff is so interconnected that it would be a major effort to hook it back
in." I have to run a few programs still in development that were installed
on my system by the client at their site. I suppose if I had a desktop they
could courier me the CDs and get on the phone or Netmeeting and lead me
through it, except for the reboots that would destroy our Netmeeting,
etc.... it's more cost-effective to courier them the laptop.

Besides, it just looks so cool on my desk, without any big box in sight.

--Suzanne