RE: On-Line Vs. Print, Single-Sourcing, and how to ignore the obvious

Subject: RE: On-Line Vs. Print, Single-Sourcing, and how to ignore the obvious
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:36:32 -0400

Rebecca Downey remarked to "Andrew":
>>So far you've only mentioned one set:
>>> Personally, I prefer to get the &#34;Here is exactly
>>> how to do this&#34; kind of information from on-line
>>> help. I look to a printed manual for theoretical and
>>> conceptual background.

>>Are there others in your opinion?
>>Should information overlap between the two (print and on-line) when written
>>for the same product?

So Andrew, if you really are Andrew, how about some intelligent contribution
beyond the above. Surely you can demonstrate some knowledge without calling list
members 'kids', 'lunatics', or studiers of 'sniveling theorizing'.

While the "exactly how to do this" information is what you want to <<access>>
first, if conceptual information could be linked to in the on-line docs wouldn't
it be helpful if all the information was available in both print and online to
avoid having to jump between the two? Wouldn't code examples or tutorial
information be helpful on-line to help those that have browsed into related
topics while searching for a solution to their particular problem? I actually
have to commend Microsoft for the NT command line help files in this regard.
Except their index buttons in the command listing don't work correctly and the
commands don't index or search correctly from the main help.

<<the cold, hard, stiff, face up to it fact is - they are different and they are
read differently.>>

Once again, IMO, for all the anti-single sourcing hype and sniveling the only
real differences between on-line and print are in presentation, organization,
and consumption.

Eric L. Dunn

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com