Like long hours?

Subject: Like long hours?
From: "ASUE Tekwrytr" <tekwrytr -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 22:24:37 -0400

While the concept of working long hours because you want to being different than working long hours because you have to is interesting, I don't believe it. Routinely working long hours is most often considered "career-enhancing behavior," and if you do it by choice, good for you. While it may enhance your career, it often has the effect of harming the careers of those who are perceived to be "less motivated" than you are.

Not a reality, just a perception. My personal experience has been that long hours are rarely productive, other than creating the perception with management that the individual putting in the long hours is more dedicated. Such behavior is useful to that end, but not often toward overall productivity.

As a manager, I am far more impressed with people who get the work done in a normal span of time, rather than trying to convince me what hard workers they are by putting in so much time I feel like charging them rent.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com