Why ISO 9000 really sucks

Subject: Why ISO 9000 really sucks
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:08:42 -0700 (PDT)

While I thank Eric for bringing up such a delightful topic as ISO 9000, I would
ask that he (and the rest of TECHWR-L) please refrain from assuming my opinion.
Like all living organisms, I am evolving. And just because I posting something in
1999 raving about ISO 9000 doesn't mean my feelings are the same today.

But, in this case they are about the same. But for new reasons.

The largest reason why ISO9000 sucks is because it raises the price of goods. Its
a largely uncessary certification process that uses up vital company resources.
This cost is ultimately passed on to the consumer in either cheaper quality goods
or more expensive goods.

The fact is, any complex manufacturing or production system must be analyzed,
documented, and improved as a matter of good business. Obtaining a meaningless
certification implies capability that might or might not exist. Its also just
another reason to prop up an industry - the auditing industry.

Certifications are one thing for an individual, a component, or an isolated
process. But trying to certify the entire operation of a business is absurd.
Especially since any decent business will immediately dispose of a process to
remain competitive and capable. Hence, auditing does not really provide any
meaningful insight. A company that develops a process merely to assuage auditors
is basically creating nothing of value. Somebody has to pay for this waste - and
that somebody is you, the consumer.

Andrew Plato

http://health.yahoo.com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l