RE: Why ISO 9000 really sucks

Subject: RE: Why ISO 9000 really sucks
From: Bob Andrews <Bob -dot- Andrews -at- MEDecision -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:15:50 -0400

As a former QA person, I thought I'd weigh in on this.

ISO 9000 requires that a company has a documented QA program that they
follow. It doesn't require that the program is any good. If the program is
well-designed, effective and diligently followed, the company will achieve
savings due to: more consistent product, less waste, less
rework/reinspection, and ultimately greater customer satisfaction. The ISO
9000 documents are valuable as training tools, and they facilitate quality
audits. They're also impressive to potential clients, customers and
regulatory inspectors.

An ISO 9000-certified company also has a competitive edge because they can
advertise their certified status to customers and potential clients. This is
more valuable in some industries than others.

My experience is that a company with a decent ISO 9000 program easily
recoups their initial investment by the savings & efficiencies they achieve.
If they are in a competitive business they will benefit just from being
certified, whether or not their ISO 9000 program is any good.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com