Re: About proprietary writing samples

Subject: Re: About proprietary writing samples
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:22:19 -0400

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 10:58, kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
(who wants to charge by the pound for his writing...) wrote:
[...]
> In my experience, nobody sits and actually READS what I
> wrote for more than a few seconds, so I'll probably stick
> with giving them the phone book.

Er.... "lending" them the phonebook. Ahem.

I create my manuals with color, which certainly shows up
when they are viewed as PDFs from the product CD.
However, the printed-and-bound versions are done
with monochrome interiors. (We figure they cost about
eight to ten bucks apiece with color covers and
black'n'white guts, but the same document would cost
$75 if printed in color all the way through. And that's for
the smaller manuals.)

However, I usually run off a copy on the color printer
cuz color is ever-so-much more impressive (as is that
nice paper...) in the old portfolio.

Similarly, we give color copies to our field reps and
leave color manuals lying around in our labs or demo
rooms for prospective customers to idly page through
when they are visiting.

A couple of times somebody remarked that when they
began receiving their product from us they would have
preferred to have the nice color documents that they
saw in the demo. Once we told them:

a) the cost difference, and

b) they'd have to pay it...

they clammed right up and continued to accept the
black'n'whites. Go figure. On systems that cost
tens of thousands of dollars, 65 or 70 bucks can still
be a big deal to a lot of people. Really go figure... :-)

/kevin
--
I'm heavily armed, easily bored, and off the medication.
Let's play.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com