RE: Like long hours?

Subject: RE: Like long hours?
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:42:57 -0400

I've been reading this thread off an on, and it just won't die. Perhaps I
can put a stake through its nasty little heart ...

If a company requires 100 chairs to be painted each week, and it takes 30
minutes to paint each chair, and there's one person hired to paint all the
chairs, they need 50 hours to do them all. However, if they are a salaried
employee and are contracted to work 40 hours a week, they cannot finish all
the work in the time allotted, no matter how good they are.

Now, replace paint with write, and you see the dilemma. The company is
placing an unreasonable demand on the employee. The employee has several
part-time helper, etc.

Now, if there were one or two weeks a year where the company needed 100
chairs painted, then I can see having it fall under the normal work schedule
since it's not onerous on ongoing. If it's a regular thing, though, it's a
problem.

It has nothing to do with people's attitudes or abilities. It has to do with
expectations, and a contractual agreement entered into by both parties.

As an employee, I expect to work 40 or so hours a week. I expect that some
weeks I will work more, and other weeks I may work less. As an employer, my
boss expects the chairs to get painted. The only issue arises when something
breaks the contract between them - you now have to work more for no more
money.

There's not really much else to say about it. In this day and age, someone
will do the work for the money. It may be you, or it may not. It isn't fair,
either, but then, life isn't fair.

This too will pass ...

Right now, it's a buyer's market. 18 months ago, it was a seller's market.
It will NEVER be constant and unchanging for very long.

So if I were you, I'd learn how to use a spray painter so I can do the
chairs in 5 minutes ...

My 2¢,

John

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l