Re: Work... It's Gooberrific!!!

Subject: Re: Work... It's Gooberrific!!!
From: "Lin Sims" <linda -dot- sims -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:56:55 -0400

Three cheers and a 21-gun salute, Goober. This is about the clearest
statement of the whole discussion (from an non-management employee point of view)
that I've seen.

On 7 Aug 2002 at 7:17, Goober wrote:

> OK, it seems apparent that the same arguments are
> being restated in opposition to each other. ;) Here's
> my overall point of view:
>
> ------------
> Love of Work
> ------------
>
> I love my job. I love what I do. It keeps me coming
> back for more day in and day out. If I didn't love it,
> I'd find something else I loved to do, and do that.

<much snippage, since it doesn't need to be said again>

> If my signed work agreement says I am compensated
> based on a 40 hour work week (which it does), and the
> company is trying to regularly milk me and everyone
> else for 60 hours a week, well, I have a problem with
> it.

Amen.

My company has "mandated" that everyone here work no fewer than 50 hours/week for
the forseeable future. This can be directly traced to the fact that the corporate bigwigs
have made big promises about the software we'll deliver to our customers while
conveniently forgetting that we've laid off over 30% of our employee base (not many
managers, though--somehow the managers are usually safe) since last July. In my
particular group, we've lost 2 out of 6 writers and had one replaced by someone who's
been working in marketing/management for years. At the same time, our workload has
approximately doubled from what it was when we had 6 experienced writers. Top this
off with a 4-month long, 10% pay cut and the news that we our raises have been
delayed 6 months (and will NOT be retroactive) when we're working for a company that
is privately held AND has made a profit over the last fiscal year, and you're talking
about a lot of very bitter employees.

Yeah, I'm looking for a new job.

Lin Sims

Of course I'm willing to take 'No' for an answer, so long as 'No' was the answer I was
looking for.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com