RE: Pleasing a Manager

Subject: RE: Pleasing a Manager
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- adelphia -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 20:43:25 -0700

Lisa Wright hath said:

> Normally I would agree with Sean's advice: it is good to take criticism,
> and it sounds like you're capable of doing that. Obviously, you do not
> want to alienate this person. However, if someone told me that my
> document was terrible and then admitted to not reading it, I would
> laugh. Out loud.

Me too! I mean, honestly, your immediate boss says your work sucks then
admits to not having read it? What else could you do? Laugh, kick back,
and say, "Then how do you know it's awful?" Sounds like a joke to me.

Sure, it's hard to hear. But it's also hard to believe. I'd assume he was
kidding, and if he growled, then I dunno, I still wouldn't hide under the
desk. Maybe it's because I've been doing this a very long time, and my
opinion of my work is pretty good (backed up by some very nice references).
<g> I've been accused of self-confidence before. If the boss has real
reasons for not liking the work, it's part of his/her to provide the clues.
If he doesn't like you, there's nothing you can do.

If you've never had this problem till now, you are probably safe in assuming
it isn't you, it's them. If this has happened before, you might want to
examine common facvtors. But you don't need us to tell you what's happpening
and what to do about it. You're the one living with the problem. If you hate
your job, start looking for another one.

My tuppence ha'penny, of course.

Maggie Secara

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com