RE: Knock it off - trolling

Subject: RE: Knock it off - trolling
From: "Grant, Christopher" <CGrant -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:11:28 -0500

Hi.

> Supporting two opposing views from different addresses or
> maintaining a combative and contrarian persona for on-list discussion for
> the purposes of entertainment IS trolling.

It may be silly and annoying, and (maybe) explicitly against the list rules,
but it's not technically "trolling."

Trolling is the act of posting messages with the sole intent of igniting a
flame war, or to provoke a fight, or to trick people into posting
embarrassing responses. Trolls not only post messages with content contrary
to what they may or may not actually think, but also do so ONLY to cause
disruption.

I think in this case, the person maintained two points of view to illuminate
the discussion. Personally I think that's a waste of time, but I don't
think it could really be called "trolling."

(See http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/troll.html for more
information on trolling.)

-Chris Grant

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l