RE: Marcom writing samples

Subject: RE: Marcom writing samples
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 05:43:02 +0900

Anon,

What type of marcom samples? The same issue exists for marcom portfolio
samples as for techcomm. If you really have nothing that could be
considered marcom, such as newsletters, web pages, white papers, brochures
or trade advertising, trying writing a simple fact sheet, and do some basic
layout and design. If you have the time, several small pieces that describe
related products wouldn't be bad. Send them over to html and reformat them
appropriately. Write a press release about the product too. Without the
time, type up an outline of what the marcom collateral for the product or
service should be.

In my world, the primary difference between techcom and marcom is in
applying a different writing style to suit a different purpose. Instead of
telling them what to do after they've bought the product, you have to tell
them why they ought to buy it in the first place. You still have to know
your audience and what they need and want, and to understand your product.
It's not really the great leap that many would have it seem.

Since the company knows you don't have "real world" examples, then you've
actually been invited to stretch yourself. Jump on it, it's a blast.

Good luck!

Connie Giordano
Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com <mailto:connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com>

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to
do it." - Pablo Picasso

... my evil twin really does marcom for a living....