Re: FWD: Marcom writing samples

Subject: Re: FWD: Marcom writing samples
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 13:51:40 -0700

Anonymous wrote:

Besides the usual portfolio, I have fiction, poetry, reviews, recipes, and
tourist recs/advice to show them - or I could try writing a sample
specially for them. Any recommendations from the marcom writers out there?
I need to decide soon, especially if I'm writing a sample for them.

You can find all sorts of samples on company web sites, usually in PDF format.Look at a few that you like, and analyze the design and writing styles with the goal of figuring out what appeals to you. Analyze three or four of each type of marcom writing (for example,news releases, newsletters, and product sheets), and you'll soon get a sense of the prevailing standards.After this analysis, you should be able to run up a one or two page sample without much difficulty.

I don't know what sort of marcom samples you need,of course. However, if your interest is product sheets, Adobe's are almost always well-designed; given the company's business and customers, I suppose that they have to be. I've noticed many companies obviously copying them. I learned a lot from them when I was doing my first product sheet.

"rats may be rich or rats may be clever,
but one thing of which they'll never get rid
My Dog
knows where the bones are hid."
-OysterBand, "My Dog"

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l