Re: techwr-l digest: August 07, 2002

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: August 07, 2002
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 08:36:33 +0200

Andrew Plato wrote

At 12:00 AM 8/8/02 -0600, you wrote:

Planning projects isn't really an aspect of this discussion Bill. Nobody ever
said you should plan a project such that hours aren't considered. We're talking
about employment and expectations on the job. To restate my point, the hours you
work in a given week/month/year are not very important. Its the quality of your
work and your ability to fulfill a need in your organization that are most
important. You fill that need by intelligently managing your time such that you
are able to get your work done under reasonable conditions. And when conditions
change, you change and you communicate these changes to co-workers/management.

Hi, maybe it is not important what I want to write here, and hopefully, it is not OT.
Hi Andrew, welcome back.
I want to add own experience. When I started new as technical writer I worked long hours (without extra payment) almost every day and long weekends. I wanted to get the job done. Soon I had 600 hours overtime. What did it mean? I had not enough time to relax. My family suffered. Hopefully, the quality of my work did not. I became ill. (For about 3 months, including 2 in a hospital). I do not say because of the overtime. But I had to reorganize my life.
One important topic was: not to work overtime on a regular basis. This means, only if it is really necessary to get the job done.
(This means, short before deliveries, when the program and its interface are ready.) We had all the trouble of overtime. Fortunately, we got a new project manager who said: Do not work overtime. This is a waste of time, and it does not really produce a higher productivity. Only the rate of mistakes is increasing, and the amount of error correction. The reorganization of work, including more exact planning and setting of priorities, improved the situation very much. It is not the overtime what counts in the end, it is the result for the clients. Overtime now generally must be approved before doing it and should not be extended open end.

Best regards
Bernd

Bernd Hutschenreuther / Technical Writer
net-linx Europe GmbH Dresden / mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de
Kaethe-Kollwitz-Ufer 76 / tel: (+49) 351-31875-732
01309 Dresden, Germany / fax: (+49) 351-31875-550
Home: +49-351-8483427 ;-) mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- sz-online -dot- de
Unless otherwise indicated, this e-mail and any attachments hereto contain information which is confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above under terms of confidentiality and non-use agreements. Any use of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to, total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) by persons other than the designated recipient(s) or for purposes not permitted by such agreements, is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com