terminology problem

Subject: terminology problem
From: "Margaret Gerard" <margaret -dot- gerard -at- proxima-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 14:19:24 +1000

We are producing a product and docs to go with it which must conform to
American English. We have a set of name fields on the interface which are
labelled:
Surname
Given name

We thought these were OK but have now received customer feedback from the
States indicating that they do not understand these terms. Would it be
better to use:
Last name
First name

(but what about names where the surname is usually written first?) or should
we use:
Family name
Given name.

There are several helpful wewbsites which detail the differences between
British and American English but I haven't been able to find an answer to
this problem.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Margaret Gerard,
Sydney, Australia

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l