Re: Latest versions necessary?

Subject: Re: Latest versions necessary?
From: John Posada <john -at- tdandw -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:38:21 -0700

You don't cram to learn tools you are writing with. You cram to learn
technologies you are writing ABOUT.

You won't be a contactor failure for only knowing FM5.5.6 and not 7...you
might be a contactor failure if you don't know anything about networking,
internet technologies, relational databases or workflow design.

You won't be a failure for only knowing Visio 2000 instead of
2001...however, not being able to understand the technology for which you'd
use Visio could place you at a disadvantage. Knowing Visio inside out and
sideways and not knowing how business/technology processes work will still
result in zero output...I don't care how well you know the tool if you don't
know the technology.

Imagine you are in a serious meeting and they ask you

CIO: "Jeffrey...as the tech writer, would you like to start developing
Functional Specification for the system or would you like to start
diagramming the database schema?"
Jeffrey: "Uhmm...can I use Visio 2000 or do I have to use 2002?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer (and contactor on my 8th gig)
john -at- tdandw -dot- com