Re: Difference btn Trainers and Tech Writers (was RE: DON'T DO IT!!!)

Subject: Re: Difference btn Trainers and Tech Writers (was RE: DON'T DO IT!!!)
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kevinmcl -at- magma -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 16:00:56 +0100

On Friday 09 August 2002 22:47, Megan Golding wrote:

> From my experiences, I'd theorize that the practicality of
documented
> procedures improves with more time spent with actual users.

In my four years with my current employer, I've yet to meet an
actual "user".

The closest I've come was to shake hands, or to be in the room
with customer corporate reps when our product was being
demo'd, here in our own labs.

Those reps were usually relatively senior people from the
prospective customer company and were never the grunts who would
actually install and use our stuff. In many cases, they weren't
even from the same company, since the customer company would
be re-selling our product as part of their offering.

I know I'm missing out, but.... hell will freeze over before I lay
my own credit card on the counter to buy an airline ticket to
visit one of our end-users. The docs will just have to continue
to be my best guess, tempered by comments from our customer
support and sales-eng representatives.

/kevin
--
"DIRty DEEDS, and they're DONE dirt cheap."
[Sing it with me, now...]

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com