Moving RoboHelp 9.2 projects between network directories? (Summar y)

Subject: Moving RoboHelp 9.2 projects between network directories? (Summar y)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:02:21 -0400

Last week, I asked whether there was any reason not to manually edit the
.HPJ file created by RoboHelp so I could change the pathnames in the file.
(I'm moving several projects to a new network directory, and didn't want to
do something that seemed so logical--typing a new path name--but ignored
some hidden trap. I haven't spent as much time mastering the plumbing of
help files as I'd like to spend.)

The consensus reply is that the "do not edit this file" warning in this text
file is simply a means of discouraging people from tampering with the file,
because incautious editing could indeed prevent the help project from
compiling properly. Nothing fatal, but difficult to troubleshoot if you
don't spot the typo or other problem. Provided that RoboHelp isn't running
when you edit the .HPJ file, and that you remember not to save the edited
file in Word format <g>, there should be no problem with entering a
correctly typed path name.

Thanks to all who responded privately or on the list.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"With Linux, customers end up being in the operating systems business,
managing software updates and security patches while making sure the
multitude of software packages don't conflict with each other."--Microsoft
spokesperson in a News.com article

"And just how would that be different from Windows?"--Adam Engst, TidBITS

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com