Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:00:26 -0700 (PDT)

""Diane Evans"" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote in message

> The problem is the cost of living here in Bellevue. If I take into account
> commuting and other costs, this pays little more than unemployment. I
> wouldn't hesitate to take this job if it was billed as an entry-level
> position, but asking a "talented and motivated technical writer" to work at
> such a low wage in Bellevue appears to be an insult rather than a proper job
> offer.

Then don't apply for the job. Clearly this employer has made a choice - for
whatever reason - to offer $25 an hour. You may be insulted by such a rate, but a
person who has been unemployed for a long time and needs work may take it.

Furthermore, $25 an hour is not some poverty wage. That's $4000 a month or $1000
a week (assuming 40 hrs per week). After taxes, that would be around $3200 a
month. Maybe a bit less. Its not a "buy a Lexus and live in a waterfront home in
Kirkland" kind of wage. But a person could afford to live reasonably comfortably
in the Seattle area off that wage.

And as for unemployment. Last I checked, unemployment was paying about $800 a
month in Seattle (2 friends up there are collecting unemployment right now). That
is not *anywhere* close to $4000 a month.

Also, what you define as a "talented and motivated technical writer" might not be
the same definition as the employer. To them, a person who can merely paste text
into Word documents for 8 hours a day is considered a "motivated and talented
technical writer" and hence, worth $25 an hour.

I realize it is a frustrating time for people looking for work. But, let's not
whack things out of perspective here. This may be a crummy offer, but its not
what I would deem "insulting".

Andrew Plato

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com