RE: I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: RE: I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: "Gil Yaker" <gyaker -at- designdata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:00:09 -0400

I don't see what's so funny/odd about either of these listings.

It seems to me that for a number of jobs, when they say they want a TW,
they really want a DBA, or Programmer, or IP Engineer... Who can write.
Anyone else will not get past the screening process. My tie in is
getting a call for a writing gig supporting some oracle system. The
recruiter said my resume wasn't technical enough as-is for the job
(which is completely nutso). I assured her that after I changed it
around a little it would be fine. After basically making my experience
sound like I was a full time web developer for the past several years
with plenty of db and db-front end work, she still told me it wasn't
technical enough and wouldn't submit my resume.

I think what bugged me most was that the recruiter wasn't technical, and
when I started probing asking what was wrong, what was she not seeing on
the resume, could she give me more background on the job - maybe I don't
have enough relational database design experience *cough* for you so we
can stop here, etc... She couldn't answer any of the questions. Just a
general "it's not technical enough."

Well whatever. I understand the recruiter/project management position,
but I got annoyed when the listing asked for TWs and I'm sure the
position would be filled by a
failed-DBA-can't-find-work-gone-tw-cuz-anyone-can-write person in the
end :)

Also, those seemingly high responsibility and experience needed for
really low pay ads you have to take with a grain of salt. I have a
feeling after getting under qualified junior applicants (rightfully so)
for the opening, the company may get a dose of reality and change their
expectations. I've also heard from people to go ahead and apply and if
you get a call back, immediately raise the salary issue - most companies
seem flexible (within reason) on this point.

-Gil