Qt

Subject: Qt
From: "kandis" <kandis -at- toonboom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:52:22 -0400

Hey Karen,

I tried responding to your query before, but my message just dissolved in
thin air.

- Must I use Qt to develop the What?s This? help, or can I hook these in
from a compiled help system?

You don't use Qt to write your help. Your developers use Qt to call and
display the help. You must use another tool to write your help files.

Since Qt is used for cross-platform development, I do not think that What's
This help can be derived from a compiled help system because those are OS
dependent.

We are developing What's This help for an ap developed on Qt for Windows,
*Nix and possibly Mac. We are creating separate HTML files for each topic.
Thank god for Frame + WWP. We add the ID for each interface control into a
Frame marker. In WWP, this marker launches a macro that creates a separate
HTML file for each topic and creates a map file.

- Can Qt be used to create the whole help file? (that is, more than just
What's This and tooltips?)

Qt isn't a help composer. It's an application development tool.

- Can Qt create indexes and TOCs?

No, it is an application development environment. You will have to use
another tool.

- How does Qt access help file topics? - Do you use a web browser to view
the help or a custom viewer?

I am not the developer, but I believe Qt calls the display mechanism of the
OS the ap is running on to display the text in its viewer. All we are doing
is writing the topics in HTML and it displays no matter what OS we are in.

Sounds like you might want to be doing something similar.

Hope this helps! Feel free to contact me off-list!
Kandis

--
Documentalist
http://www.toonboomstudio.com