Technical editing vs. technical writing (was: playing with marbles, or some such thing)

Subject: Technical editing vs. technical writing (was: playing with marbles, or some such thing)
From: "Doug Grossman" <Doug -dot- Grossman -at- sas -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:31:14 -0400

Andrew,

This time, I'm neither arguing your point, nor playing devil's advocate.......but I *am* curious.

In my company, we have a separate "Technical Editing" department, separate from both "Publications" (who document our core software products in a static way for external folks) and from the technical writers in "Client Services" (who document customized solutions in a dynamic sort of way for external customers). I happen to be in this last group. My guess would be that the technical editors fondle fonts the most, "pubs" probably hardly at all, and my group is somewhere in the middle.

My question is this: Would you change all, some, or none of what you said, if one called themselves a technical *editor," as opposed to a technical *writer*? My question arises from the fact that they can both exist within the same organization, and that there is a distinct difference between them.

Thanks,
Doug Grossman