Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: "Martin R. Soderstrom" <scribbler1382 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:54:52 -0400

> What good is knowing how a programmer thinks if you don't know what a
> programmer does? That is, after all, what API documentation is about.

You're being obtuse. I didn't say knowing how a programmer thinks is the
ONLY requirement. And IIRC, I did say you needed a basic understanding of
technologies and principles. To me, that would include the ability to read
code, etc. What would be mind-numbingly boring to me would be only writing
about the SAME language, technology, discipline ad infinitum.

> Finally, how can too much knowledge be a hindrance? You don't write API
> documentation for clerical staff. However,even if you did,surely one of
> the basic requirements of technical writing is having the understanding
> or empathy with your audience to include what its members need for the
> information to be comprehensible.

Again, I didn't say that. I said that years of doing the same thing puts
you at an experience level on that subject where it is impossible to
identify with someone new to the technology. Granted, this is not the case
in every situation. But then, not every TW writes API documentation (thank
god) or ISO 9000 pendanticisms.

> I suppose what I'm saying is simply that I don't work that way. Am I
> missing something?

I've found that there are as many ways to write as there are writers, so if
your way works for you, that's wonderful. But if you believe that your way
is the only way, I've got some communist manifestos you might be interested
in. :)

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com