Re: Permission for linking to Web sites

Subject: Re: Permission for linking to Web sites
From: "Doc" <doc -at- vertext -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:38:47 -0400

Hi Wendy--

Whether or not it is legal seems to me to be beside the point. I think it
would be courteous to ask.

... and there's nothing wrong with courtesy. You might even find that the
owners will make it easier for you.

As Piet Hein said:
A bit
of virtue
will never
hurt you.

-Doc
David 'Doc' Lettvin
VerText
"Versatile Text for reusability and globalization"
http://www.vertext.org
vox: +1.978.468.1105
fax: +1.775.248.0508

<Wendy -dot- Skains -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us> wrote in message news:165166 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> I have created an HTML glossary to be used by folks in my department
(about
> 20 of us) that have access to a particular drive on our network. It's
> nothing fancy, just something to access to get the latest terms and
> definitions used in our industry. I want to include a page of links to
> various Web sites that might be of interest to people viewing this
> glossary. Is it necessary to get permission to link to these Web sites...
> even though my pages will not be available for "public" consumption? The
> pages will only be viewed by the people that have access to that
particular
> drive on our network. I've looked in the archives, searched the Web, etc.,
> but nothing quite matches the answer I'm looking for. If you can point me
> to a site that covers this, I'd appreciate it.
>
> (I'm posting this on both Techwr-L and Copyediting-L)
>
> Wendy Skains
> Technical Writer Team Leader
> Information Technology Division
> Texas Department of Criminal Justice