Re: Microsoft Manual of Style

Subject: Re: Microsoft Manual of Style
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:02:57 +0200

>- Are there Microsoft style manuals for languages othere than English?

No, there don't seem to be any. Be aware, too, that at least the German
translations of common interface terms can be questionable (e.g., a
button is called "Schaltfläche" - "switching area"). You may still want
to use them for the sake of consistency, but a stronger than usual case
can be made for deviating. I'm not aware of the quality of the
translations for other languages.

>- The latest version on offer from amazon.co.uk is from 1998 - amazon.com
>has an out of print edition. Is this really the latest version? Obviously
>there is new terminology from Windows 2000 and XP which is important.

I seem to remember to have heard that a new version is due out soon.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com