Re: Re(4): I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: Re: Re(4): I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: "Martin R. Soderstrom" <scribbler1382 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:30:03 -0400

"Jan Henning" <henning -at- r-l -dot- de> wrote in message news:165244 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
> This comment does not seem to make sense. Andrew claimed, in a nutshell,
> that you need to know a lot about a subject to write an authoritative
> document.
>
> Now, obviously, when this statement is true when there is unlimited time
> to write the document, it cannot be false when there isn't, which you
> appear to have argued in the quote above. Think about what that would
> mean: With unlimited time, only persons with a lot of knowledge can write
> a document well. Under time pressure, other persons could do so as well.
>
> This is obviously nonsense.

It would seem to me that being unable to intuit from my post that what I was
saying was not "experts can only write authoritative documents with long
timelines" but rather "long timelines are required to =become= an expert so
you can write said document" that you've proven me wrong. I'd assumed that
an unspoken or unwritten rule in all of this were some basic (what I thought
were basic) skills required to be a tech writer. These would include (but
not be limited to) the abilities to extrapolate, intuit, interpret and
construe.

Sorry for the confusion and I'll adjust my estimation of this audience
accordingly.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com