Re: MOVIE REVIEW: K19: The Widowmaker

Subject: Re: MOVIE REVIEW: K19: The Widowmaker
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 01:11:17 -0500

Yes, it is a movie. However, it does show the main points of what happened aboard the K-19. The Soviet Navy did have problems with equipment reliability. And if the air gets bad on a sub you just open the hatch, right?

Scott

At 12:13 AM -0400 8/16/02, Tuples -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

In a message dated 8/15/02 7:52:38 PM Mountain Standard Time,
holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com writes:

>When one of the crewmembers first sees that an important instrument
>is not working properly, he taps it with his finger instead of
>referring to official written procedures. This failure to consult
>the documentation early on will have fatal consequences for some
>members of the crew.

<snip>

>The emergency procedures manual is read aloud to the crew, but does
>not contain information on fixing a malfunctioning nuclear reactor.
>In disgust, the loose pages of the guide are thrown aside and never
>referred to again!

We are all aware that this is just a movie, right?

Besides, tapping is a perfectly good way to fix my old speedometers, so it
shouldf be ok for a sub.

Bob

and more from the TECHWR-L Store. All proceeds support TECHWR-L. http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/store.aspx?storeid=techwhirl

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l