MOSTLY OFF-TOPIC: Communicating with the Academic Community

Subject: MOSTLY OFF-TOPIC: Communicating with the Academic Community
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:31:10 +0100

Hi,
This is mostly off-topic, so please respond to me offline. In my
capacity as (try not to laugh) "technology evangelist", we've developed
a "free software licenses for students" program. Basically, anybody with
an academic email license can download a 12-month license of our
software for non-commerical use.

We've had a difficult time promoting this program to the computer
science academic community. I've made several exhaustive searches online
but have found very little in the way of:

* Sites that computer science professors seem to frequent
* Popular online journals

I found a lot of lame-looking lists of links on various specific
university pages, and submitted to some of them, but ultimately could
find no "portal" site that convinced me it was *the* place for computer
science profs. We have placed an ad with the SIGCSE newsletter (an ACM
special interest group), but it won't come out until Jan., 2003. We've
also done a press release (and the usual related PR) that got picked up
in a few spots.

So, I'm seeking offline recommendations for promoting this program to
computer science profs. Short of spamming individual profs/departments
at universities, we're fresh out of ideas. If you're interested, the
program is at http://www.capescience.com/academic/.

I guess, in terms of making it techwr-l friendly, this kind of task is
not unheard of for tech writers. Often we have to do marketing-esque
duties. If I get some suggestions, I'll summarize them to the group.
Thanks in advance. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Technology Evangelist (tee, hee)
CapeScience - Cape Clear's Developer Support Network
http://www.capescience.com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com