RE: For a friend, what is...

Subject: RE: For a friend, what is...
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:33:49 -0700

TSO and ISPF are all software environnments in that they are the settings in which you work. They allow you to create, store, print and delete data sets, and to submit and examine jobs.

TSO (which stands for Time Sharing Option) is a facility that actually allow mutliple users to use the operating system at the same time. These are the facilities that actually submit jobs and store data sets via the computer's operating system. TSO allows you to execute most programs like SAS interactively.

ISPF stands for Interactive System Productivity Facility. Through ISPF you can manage data sets and submit jobs. ISPF is menu-driven, which means the facility presents a series of menus from which you may pick the options you want. This document will deal mainly with functions that are possible to perform through ISPF. We will explain TSO only as a means of accessing ISPF.

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.