RE: Dual Monitor users

Subject: RE: Dual Monitor users
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:56:15 -0400

Since you don't specify platform, I'll relate both of my experiences:

* I used my NEC laptop's built-in video to do this a while back in
Windows 2000 and, although it worked, it was flaky, mainly because
Windows was very, very bad at remembering my carefully-entered settings.
I ended up having to re-do the dual-monitor setup and positioning every
morning, and eventually gave it up as a bad job.

* On the other hand, I use my Mac OS X laptop every day in dual-monitor
mode. I usually keep FrameMaker or Word running on the main display (the
19" external, in my case), and use the secondary monitor (the laptop's
internal display) to show the Web app or other application that I'm
documenting. Very convenient. The OS is smart about knowing when the
external monitor is hooked up or not, and moves the windows/desktop
accordingly. I haven't had any problems with it.

Hope this helps,
Mike