RE: Do I have a right to feel POed??

Subject: RE: Do I have a right to feel POed??
From: Karen Gloor <karen_gloor -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:57:17 -0700 (PDT)

Unfortunately, I didn't know about this meeting until
this morning. Had I known what was going on, I most
certainly would've invited myself.

I am NOT new to the tech writing world...I have been
doing this for 7 years. I know this happens. It's not
the first time. I have worked with this very same
person on getting him to understand the documentation
efforts each and every time he has excluded us from a
meeting.

This last exclusion may have been the straw that broke
my back given the enormity of the decisions made.

His excuse..."I didn't think you were there when I
called the meeting"...given that he walked from cube
to cube getting people to come to this meeting and he
never once stopped by mine indicates that yes, indeed,
we are an afterthought.

Am I "emotional" about it? Sure. Am I professional
enough to keep these emotions in check, of course.
But does that mean that I should allow development to
constantly exclude me from important meetings that
impact me as well?

Karen

--- John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:
> Without getting emotional about it, why didn't you
> simply show up, sit down,
> and after the meeting, pull him aside and say "Not
> being included was
> probably an oversight in that you thought had
> nothing to do with me.
> However, development scheduling has a major impact
> on documentation
> scheduling. Can I get included next time"
>
> I regularly include myself in meetings they didn't
> think to ask me about.
>
> John Posada
> Senior Technical Writer
> Barnes&Noble.com
> jposada -at- book -dot- com
> 212-414-6656

> Any advice on what in the heck I can do to make
> documentation a mindset rather than an
> afterthought??
> I have given presentations regarding our efforts,

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com