Re: Chapter Titles in Tech. Documentation

Subject: Re: Chapter Titles in Tech. Documentation
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:37:48 +0200

>Why shouldn't "Setting Post-Audiotex Behavior" simply be "Post-Audiotex
>Behvior"?

Whether it should or shouldn't remains to be seen, but the two titles
would raise differing expectations:

- Setting Post-Audiotex Behavior: I would expect this section to tell me
how I might, by configuring the entity being described, determine how it
behaves after Audiotex.

- Post-Audiotex Behavior: Here I would expect simply a description of the
behavior of the entity, not necessarily including any ways to influence it.

The fact that you could replace "setting" with other verbs without
changing the meaning much seems immaterial in this context - it simply
means that "to set" has synonyms.

In general, gerunds (or possibly other forms of verbs) seem useful to
indicate to the reader that the section is about him or her doing
something. When the verb is dropped, the title might look more like a
simple description of an object or behavior.

As for the French translations being very long, that's just the way the
cookie crumbles. French translation are always long, and I wouldn't
choose less appropriate English expressions just to facilitate shorter
translations.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com