Re: What do you charge for Web site content?

Subject: Re: What do you charge for Web site content?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:15:41 -0700

rbilbao -at- us -dot- amadeus -dot- net wrote:

I'm going to be writing for a site and I'm trying to figure out what/how to
charge.Can anyone point me in the right direction? Do you charge by the word, by
the page, by the hour? What if it includes some simple HTML coding? Do you
charge for that separately? Any good resources out there for this? I tried the
archives but with a search for "rates" the most recent post was in 2000. Another
search term, maybe?

If you can, always charge by the hour on any project. Any other way either needs to be heavily hedged (for example, you might accept payment per word for two drafts), or else can result in working for free.

If all you're doing is basic HTML, I'd simply charge the same rate; these days, doing HTML is more or less an expected skill for writers.

If you're doing style sheets, scripts, or more advanced backend material for a website, you might try a higher hourly rate for that work in particular.

In general, I don't think that many companies have set expectations for writers' contracts, so try to get one that reflects your preferences. So long as you don't over-reach, you have a good chance of getting the terms you ask.

"If blame is relative, then one of the important questions in society becomes: who controls the blame patterns?"
-Utah Phillips (in concert)