Re: Word Reference Question

Subject: Re: Word Reference Question
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 13:57:14 +1000

If I understand your question correctly, you want just the heading NUMBER to appear in the table. You can do this using Word's normal cross-reference tool.

In your table, at the place you want the heading number to appear, choose Insert > Cross-Reference from the menu bar, then in the Cross-reference dialog choose Reference Type = Heading and Insert Reference To = Heading Number. Choose the heading from the For Which Heading list, and click OK.

If you meant something else by your question, ask again and I'll try to answer.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
-----------------
Taming Microsoft Word 2000, 110 pages of tips and tricks for business and technical documents.
For a contents list, downloading and payment information, go to: http://www.jeanweber.com/books/tameword.htm

Kelly asked:

Is there any way for numbers in a table to reference and subsequently change along with autonumbered headings? As in:

4.4.8 Heading autonumbered in the header

is linked to

4.4.8 | Table reference |

and can update when the heading is updated?