RE: Technical Documentation solutions?

Subject: RE: Technical Documentation solutions?
From: "Lakritz, Andrew M." <Andrew -dot- Lakritz -at- Ruesch -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:45:22 -0400

We are only beginning to use C# here. I think when Microsoft releases Help
2.0 we should be in a position to use it in conjunction with C# to produce
applications with automated help built in.

Basically, we took the four tags that Document! X included and added about
10 or so of our own tags. I built a new database configuration template to
go along with the new tags. You can do this in an add-on tool that ships
with Document! X, which makes it easy to modify the template that ships with
the product. It is true, however, that the help documentation that ships
with the product is adequate but not perhaps sufficient for power users. On
the other hand, I was able to work with someone at Innovasys to get
questions answered and work on bugs. To fully create your own templates you
need to do the following in the Configuration Editor:

1. Create or modify the page layout properties
2. Add phrases to cover your own tagged terms
3. Add new HTML Scraps to format whatever new items you want to display
beyond the main ones.
4. Format the Table of Contents (or select a new one to use for your output)
5. Format your object diagrams (just a matter of selecting fill, text, and
border colors)
6. And optionally adding any variables you want (say when the page was last
edited)

Once you have done this, you don't need to do it again. The rest is writing
the comments themselves in the code. I use Visual Studio .Net to do this
primarily because we have our stored procedures locked in version control.
One could conceivable write the comments in any tool, including Query
Analyzer, or even NotePad. Visual Studio also provides easy access (for me)
to the extended properties of the tables, so that I can write summary
comments for each table and each column.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew Lakritz
Senior Technical Writer