RE: What would I do with this

Subject: RE: What would I do with this
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:12:16 -0400

Two words. Ebay.

Wait, that's one word. You get the idea.

CR is very useful, but it's just a tool that lets you perform common tasks, much like Frame, WWP, Word, Photoshop, etc. You would learn alot more about database reporting by writing your own reporting engine on top of a web application server.

Custom logic for connecting to the database, manipulating datasets, building pretty report UI, etc. All the stuff CR strives to hide from you.

Only THEN should you install and run CR to see how it makes the lives of db folks easier.

In the past, I have used CR for reporting against massive clickstream databases to generate click-through rate reports for advertisers on a top-10 ad-supported website.

Matthew J. Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
< m a c r o m e d i a >