Re: terminology help

Subject: Re: terminology help
From: Vickie Camgros <vcamgros -at- persistence -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:09:33 -0700

At 11:21 AM -0700 8/29/02, Rosemary J Horner wrote:

Hi all,

I'm struggling to explain a concept in one of our apps that relies on a
parent/child structure of objects. Users can create a relationship between
two objects; the one they start with is automatically the parent. After the
relationship has been added, it is displayed in a list, exactly the same way
on both objects. The only difference is when you open it to edit--then you
can see which is the parent and which is the child. It is possible to have
the same type of relationship twice between objects A and B-- where
A=parent, B=child and where A=child, B=parent. It looks like the same thing
is listed twice.

Rosemary,

In OOP, parent usually means superclass and child usually means subclass. If that's not what you mean, and your application is doing anything related to object oriented programming (or if your users are also oop developers) I suggest NOT using these terms as you describe.

You are describing a relationship between two objects. You could use Source to indicate the object that contains the foreign key (that points to the related object) and Destination for the related object. Does that work?

Hope it helps.
V.