RE: terminology help

Subject: RE: terminology help
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:20:52 -0400

>Good point, John, thank you. Some of the users are reasonably technical, a
>few have been using some version of this app for years; they probably don't
>have any issues. But we're growing really fast, and not everybody has or
>takes the time to explain this stuff to their new hires. The pool of
>advanced users is being diluted and the general feedback our team has
>received is that this is a difficult concept.

As hard as it is to stomach, I think you need to use the terminology that
the old-farts (OF) use even if it isn't the "right" term because they are
going to get into discussion or trade information with the newbies (NB) and
if they are discussing the same thing using different terminology, then
there is going to be problems.

OF: "Associate these three Children with this Parent, who also happens to be
a Child of this other Parent."
NB: What's a Parent? Also, how does Super-user" fit in and how does it
relate to Sub-user?"
OF: "What's a SuperUser? You young'ins just don't get this stuff, do you!""

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com