RE:Alcohol at company functions (WAS: You will be assimilated...now what?)

Subject: RE:Alcohol at company functions (WAS: You will be assimilated...now what?)
From: "Mike Hiatt" <mhiatt -at- vocaldata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:07:25 -0500

My experience went the other way from Sean's. I worked for a Texas company acquired by a New England company. Beer at festive events went out the window almost immediately. And I'm sure it was for the same reason that IBM didn't server alcohol at company functions.

You must remember the litigious nature of current US society and the ongoing battles to keep people from driving while alcoholically impaired. If someone drives while under the influence, it is now possible in the US to sue the parties responsible for serving that person after the point of inebriation and allowing them to drive knowing they are drunk.

As I understand it, the NE company that bought our Texas company had exactly the experience. They served alcoholic beverages at a company function, an employee consumed enough to be impaired and then was involved in an accident that involved fatalaties. I believe they were part of the suits that followed and immediately there was no more booze at company functions.

Mike Hiatt
Manager, Tech Pubs
VocalData, Inc.
Dallas, TX (yep, that one)