RE: What's the significance of a draft

Subject: RE: What's the significance of a draft
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 14:24:27 -0400

>In my experience, contractors do not get much respect from MIS and IT
support staff,
>even when we do have great relationships with SMEs and programmers. At
best, support
>seems to look upon contractors as supply cabinets, sources of spare parts,
rather
>than as clients. (Not true everywhere, but in general, contractors are low
on the
>hierarchy, and contracting tech writers are lower in the hierarchy than
contracting
>programmers.)

yes and no. I firmly believe that how the contract technical writer is
perceived comes from the writer's manager.

- Last gig...took me 3 months to get into the phone book, 4 months to get my
own office space. My manager didn't like to "make noise" for anything that
didn't have his name on it.

- This gig...office, desktop computer (high end), and network connection
ready for me when I walked in. Whatever software I need, if the company has
license...including high-end software such as Adobe Illustrator and SAP R/3,
installed within hours, including all passwords to all servers that
development has access to and inclusion on all applicable Outlook
development discussion groups.

BTW...yes...this is the gig where the email from manager said, "John, as
always, is optional." His meaning on this was that at MY option, I can
attend, not attend, or leave in the middle of all developer meetings. He's
recently from Russia and sometimes his phrasing leaves something to be
desired. :-)

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com