Re: Process Documentation

Subject: Re: Process Documentation
From: Allen Schaaf <soundbyte -at- sound-by-design -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:24:44 -0700

At 10:46 AM 9/11/02, Lorraine Kiewiet wrote:

Hi Wrlers,
By next Tuesday, I have to come up with some ideas for documenting a work process. [snip]

In addition to the other suggestions that have hit the list, I'd add two more.

1) See if you can get tech support to add a couple of fields in their database about whether the question is documented in the manual(s) or not then if it could be found and is (was) understandable. A sub question would be if the user read the manual (novel thought).

2) Recursiveness. I always make sure that the last question I ask goes something like, "Is there anything you can think of that I might have missed, or anything that should absolutely be in the (document/process) that hasn't been covered?"

Allen Schaaf
Sr. Tech Writer
Currently looking for work.

Who says bad manuals aren't a risk to your life? Just ask the passengers of the jet where the engine caught fire because the company's maintenance manual was wrong about how to install one key bolt. (NTSB Report on GE CF6 engine fire, American Airlines flight 574, July 9, 1998. <http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1999/AAB9903.htm>)

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com