RE: Structure for Customer Briefs

Subject: RE: Structure for Customer Briefs
From: "Cathy Arthur" <carthur -at- ndigital -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:55:37 -0400

Hi Ann,

I have recently suggested to our marketing department that we produce this
type of document when we have prospective customers in to view our products
and discuss how our product can be either used as is or customized for their
application. We haven't decided on what to call them, yet.

I intend orient the content entirely towards the specific customer. For
example, if the price is a key selling point, that will be mentioned very
early on. I can also see including sections that highlight our ability to
customize, our leadership in the global markets, our past experience with
original equipment manufacturers, our ability to build and sustain long term
growth relationships, some of our current plans for future developments, our
strong base in university research labs. Not all customers would be
interested in all of these possible sections. All of this with examples that
are specific to that customer.

We will also include the customers logo, somewhere on the document, as well
as a photo of our equipment doing their application, which we have set up in
our demo room. This is intended to be a concrete reminder of all the points
the salesman is making while the customer is here - and it will be his
selling pitch that the document echoes.

This will probably have to be prepared on a very short time line. We use
shells for our data sheets and release notes that have a standard header on
the front and back of the paper. We will use these shells for the customer
briefs and print them on our in-house colour laser printer.

For settling on content, I intend to get a rough idea from the sales team
for a first draft. Then we sit down early in the day with everyone who has
an interest (typically the product manager, technical support, the advanced
research team leader, the salesperson, the sales manager)to hammer out
details and either remove or add information. I rewrite the draft, we sit
down with the same group to review it and make final changes. Then the
marketing/sales team will have the final inspect.

That's my plan. It is probably the only time the end user is so well
defined. I'm quite looking forward to trying it out - and I hope there are
lots of suggestions on the list. Thanks for asking the question.

Cathy Arthur