help for large dialog boxes

Subject: help for large dialog boxes
From: "Donna Marino" <marino -at- opttek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:02:43 -0600

I'm writing help text for some dialog boxes in an application. There are
numerous controls and features on the dialog box and the help topic is
turning out to be very long (too long to read on screen, in my opinion).
Anyone have any ideas about how to handle this? Users really need this
information, too, because the dialog boxes are not very intuitive. I've
thought about links that take users to subsequent topics, instead of putting
all the info in a single topic, but I don't want them to have to jump a
million places in order to get help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
donna

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com