Re: User Guide - a newbie mistake?

Subject: Re: User Guide - a newbie mistake?
From: <cheek1 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:31:42 -0700

If it is written for the end-users of the software (or hardware, or widget,
or tennis shoe, etc), and it guides them on how to use the product, I would
call it a User Guide. My philosophy is that a User Guide should cover the
information necessary to make using the product as easy as possible. It
doesn't need to tell them everything under the sun. Some things are truly
obvious ("to cancel, click Cancel"), and other things belong in a
trouble-shooting guide or administration guide.

That's my (perhaps heretical) opinion.

Regards,

Kevin Cheek