Re: Anyone know anything about NetScreen?

Subject: Re: Anyone know anything about NetScreen?
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:28:34 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi all,
>
> I just signed a three-month contract with NetScreen after a brief but fairly
> thorough interview. It looks good to me (and I am VERY happy with the idea
> of being employed!). Does anyone know anything about the company? Please
> respond off-list.
>
> Thanks!

NetScreen makes firewalls. Very good ones. They are known as the "speeds and
feeds" leader in enterprise firewall market because they can handle very
high-speed connections very well.

They were one of the first firewall makers to have ASIC-based firewalls. ASIC
designs use high-speed hard-coded flash chips for the operating systems and all
rules. It makes the firewalls considerably faster and less susceptible to fault.
It also allows them to handle more VPN tunnels. VPN capability is key in
firewalls since it is a popular way to connect remote networks and user. VPN has
high processing demands since each VPN tunnel must requires ultra-high speed
encryption and decryption of packet payloads.

They have quite a loyal following. I have used and implemented their firewalls.
They are a little on the complex side and require a high-degree of technical
prowess to implement. They are also very expensive, which has a tendency to limit
them to large scale implementations. They are also a performance product, not a
feature product. NetScreens do stateful packet filtering and VPN management very
well. But they cannot do much else. They have no integrated proxy or content
filtering capabilities, which most other firewalls do have.

Good luck with the contract.

Andrew Plato

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com