Re: "Grammar Stinks."

Subject: Re: "Grammar Stinks."
From: "Jo Francis Byrd" <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:53:40 -0500

I grew up reading. Can't remember not knowing how to read, and I read
everything. Still do. If nothing else is available, I read the back of the
cereal box in the morning (OK, let's see a show of hands, how many of us are
incurable readers?). Growing up, I read a lot of classics (partly because
that was the only thing available).

Grammar was NOT my favorite subject in school (history takes that honor); I
didn't understand English grammar until I took French in high school.
However, I could speak and write correctly because of my voracious reading
(and my parents' correcting my bad spoken grammar when necessary - not that
I ever did that with MY children...). Well, mostly correctly. Freshman
English in college cured me of "indefinite pronoun reference." Once upon a
long ago (I graduated back in nineteen mumble mumble) I could quote you
chapter and verse from Harbrace College Handbook on indefinite pronoun
reference.

Even so, I have several grammar reference books, and I consult them when I
feel the need.

Jo Byrd