Re: "Grammar Stinks."

Subject: Re: "Grammar Stinks."
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:01:37 -0700

At 11:30 AM 9/20/02 -0700, cheek1 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net wrote:

My question is: What do people think of the Great Illustrated Classics
series of books? They are adaptations of great novels to a 10- to
12-year-old reading level? ...

Replying to the original thread first, I agree with those
who've said to expose your child to good writing and the
grammar, if it is to come at all, will come by itself. But
hey! Maybe he's destined to be a programmer and care more
for syntax than grammar, who knows? I do not believe that
any good will be served by trapping the kid on a train and
forcing grammar down his throat. But that's just me.

What about illustrated classics? It depends on the child, of
course. But, what's wrong with the real thing? When my daughter
(who is now a mother herself) was in first and second grade, we
deliberately went without a television. Our family project was
to read _The Hobbit_ and _The Trilogy of the Rings_ aloud after
supper each night. By the time we finished the series, she was
reading several pages aloud each night, just like the grownups.
(Then my husband got wind of Battlestar Gallactica and our peace
was shattered forevermore <sigh>)

I'd recommend that a child start with books written for children
and then graduate to books written for adults and skip the adult
books edited for children altogether. My daughter read, and loved,
Tolkien at seven. Heck! I was reading -- change that to devouring
-- Ayn Rand at eleven! (and no snide comments like "oh, that's
what's wrong with you"!) Why hold kids back by giving them books
that have been deliberately dumbed down?

(and yes, Jo, I'm a read-a-holic, too. the cereal box, the
toothpaste tube, the sides of trucks on the freeway, ...)

Just my 2 cents. YMMV and all that.
-Sue Gallagher

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com