@!#$%& plain text is a pain in the ASCII

Subject: @!#$%& plain text is a pain in the ASCII
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:34:32 -0600

Any Notepad gurus out there?

I'm trying to figure out the ryhme and reason (or lack thereof) that
Notepad uses to place hard returns in what should be uninterrupted lines
of text.

For example, suppose I have an instance of Notepad maximized on my PC,
with Word Wrap activated, with several lengthy paragraphs that I want to
copy.

Sometimes when I paste this copied text into another application, such as
an e-mail client, or a beefier word processor, I find that Notepad has
apparently placed hard returns into the text, based on where each line
ended in the Notepad window. But other times it doesn't do this, and all
is well.

It can make
your text look something like this, which can be quite annoying,
particularly when

you're trying to make a decent impression
on
somebody.

It's this lack of predictability that's driving me crazy. I'd like to have
some idea of what my text is going to look like, but when dealing with
ASCII, it seems to be a crapshoot.

This is a particularly critical issue when submitting text via a Web form,
such as many bulletin boards (and most of the major job boards) use. Right
now the best solution I've come up with is to work with Word Wrap turned
off to produce my original text, but that's guite a nuisance.

Any ideas?

Thanks in
ad
vance,

Keith Cronin
ASCII no more questions, I'll tell you no more lies.

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com